The transition from academia to your respective field can be a quite arduous journey.
One of the best things you can do to help alleviate work stress is to add your personal wellness to your daily schedule. Thirty minutes of exercise will not only improve your appearance, but also it will help you become a more productive worker. Exercise provides stress relief and releases “feel good hormones” that will leave you in a great mood.
A recent study found that people who exercise are more likely to be successful in their professional endeavors. As a working professional, the happier you are the more productive you are, this could mean a raise when it’s evaluation time. A healthy environment starts in your mind. By incorporating proper nutrition, exercise and adequate rest, you’re investing in your well-being as well as your personal success.
Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle in a Busy Office: Walking Lunch
While it may be popular to order take out food in an office setting, making extra dinner portions the evening before work can help eliminate excess sodium, salt consumption, and control your portions–for tomorrow’s lunch. Drink an adequate amount of water to stay hydrated throughout your shift. Your body loses water when you talk. By the time you feel thirsty, your body has already lost 1% of its water content.
Your lunch break is an excellent time to tap into wellness. I will also include healthy places to eat, balanced lunch that will keep them energized without weighing them down.
A short walk can help alleviate stress. American Running Association suggests:
The perfect walking lunch depends on your job and its surroundings. Be mindful of your out-and-back so that you aren’t irresponsibly over time on your walking lunch.
- Note the time of your lunch hour’s start
- Note the time you actually reach outdoors, the ground-floor front of the building
- Begin walking briskly in any direction (15:00 mile pace)
- Subtract 1. from 2. above, and double this value.
- Subtract the final value from 4. from one hour and divide in half. This represents one half the total time you can walk. Add this value to the time you reached outdoors (2.). Don’t use your stopwatch as you would during a run, e.g., pausing it for traffic lights. Perform the walk in real time.
- When you reach the time in step 5., about-face and retrace your steps exactly.
Here’s a list of great places to walk in the New Orleans Metro area.
Additional Tools To Help Maintain Your Wellness Journey
- Although electronic calendars are popular, I suggest this personal wellness journal. People who write their goals are more likely to commit to them. Set aside time in your day to focus on your health. This process could Without your health, you will not be
- An office wide fitness challenge with incentives as you reach your health mark
- If you chose to have dinner outside of the office, try these local New Orleans restaurants provided by my friends at Yoga Lagniappe.